Search Engine Optimization is the method of improving a websites ranking from search engines, via natural search results (commonly referred to as ‘organic’)
You may be familiar with the search engine – Google – So to easily explain concepts, I’ll use Google as an example.
If you’re searching in the Google search box, with the words – dog training – you’ll arrive at “page 1” of Google for the search term dog training.
This is what we mean, natural results/organic results… or even FREE results.
The websites that are on page 1 of Google (below in the image) do not have to pay money to be listed there (in theory)… but they needed to be smart and optimize their website so they could get to page 1 on Google.
SEO Optimization High Ranking Example
If a website is on page 1 of Google, the theory is that they will receive more visitors (traffic).
Getting back to search engine optimization; there are many strategies that any website SEO can undertake to get better results from all of the search engines.
Search Engine Optimization 12 Top Tips For Better Ranking
- Using KEYWORDS that are being searched for (eg dog training) in the title tag… in the image above – it’s highlighted blue
- Using KEYWORDS in the description… in the image above – it’s the black text describing what the website is about.
- Using KEYWORDS in your website URL… in the image above – it’s the green highlighted website name.
- Having great content on your site with keywords, PLUS other relevant words related to your topic. Lets use dog training again; obedience training, dog behavior, rewards, how to get your dog to sit, how to… shake hands, etc… but you must add content naturally, as in everyday language. REMEMBER, there are people constantly searching with keyword phrases… you need to find out what phrases they’re searching for (keyword research).
- Having BACKLINKS (your website URL) on as many different websites as you can. This tells the search engines that your website is important, because it shows how popular your site is (so people must be paying attention to it). The more links to other sites, the better
- Having backlinks to higher PageRank websites. Explained simply – every website has different pages and every web page has a PageRank according to Google… which can be between 0 – 10 with 0 having little value and 10 having extremely high value. So if you can get a backlink to a website with PageRank 5 and above, then your website will also be graded/ranked higher.
- Submitting your site to search engine directories (there are hundreds)
- Submitting your website RSS feed to RSS directories
- Having a sitemap on your website
- Adding more pages or articles to your site – this means you can rank for more keywords and have your website displayed on multiple search pages.
- Having unique articles (you can have articles written for you) on your website, then submit them to article directories. This can bring traffic to your site, plus get you more backlinks.
- Change your website from a static HTML type, to a dynamic website (like WordPress). A dynamic website means you can easily add content and change… Google and other search engines love dynamic websites especially if they’re continually growing with quality information.
I know all of this information can be overwhelming, but if you want your website to be noticed by your target market, then to be ranked highly by all of the search engines, these search engine optimization tips are mandatory.
It is a lot of work, which is why it is so much easier to get SEO Services